Saturday, September 24, 2011

Number Identification

Many kindergarten students begin school without knowing their numbers.  I like to use number tiles to practice number identification with digits 0-9.  Sometimes, I use foam squares with the digits written on them.  I also have small white bathroom tiles with digits written on them.  I went to a local tile store to inquire about buying small white tiles, and after explaining how I wanted to use them, the store actually donated them!  I like the foam tiles because they are easy to prepare and don't take up much space.  I like the bathroom tiles because they are a little bigger and easier to use with students who are still developing fine motor skills.  With the foam tiles, I place student sets in ziplock bags.  I also have extras of each digit which I store in a craft tray - like what you would store beads or fishing tackle in.  I usually start with asking the students to sequence their digits.  Then, I will pick out a few of the digits that they should hold up or set in a particular place on the table.  We practice matching each digit up with the corresponding number of counters.  Students can play Top-It with the tiles or with playing cards.  Each child flips over a digit and the high digit takes keeps both.  If using number tiles, it is easiest if each student has a different color so that they can be separated quickly.  I also have sets of cards that show various sets of items.  Students lay out the digits 1-9, and they must sort the set cards to correspond with each digit.  I have 3-4 cards for each digit.  I like to have each set look different in its layout.  So for 6, I might have one that is a row of 6, one that is a 2x3 array, and one that is a 3x2 array.  This shows them that the sets may look different but represent the same number.  I have also made a memory game.  I used the numbers 1-10 and one set of each number.  I print a generic pattern on the back so that they look like playing cards. I lay the cards out facedown in a 4x5 array for the game.  Apple Number ID Memory Game  Here is another game using cards numbered 1-10.  I have four sets to match each number.  students should lay the number cards out in a straight sequential line.  Then, they have the rest of the cards mixed up.  They should sort them out by counting the sets on each card and matching them to the appropriate number.  Set Matching Game

No comments:

Post a Comment