Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pig Game

Pig is a great game for reading intervention word work.  I have created several versions that I will share with you.  After creating my original version, I have just gone back and changed the words to make the next version.  With each set, I have also printed some type of pattern on the back as well.  This makes the cards look like playing cards and it also prevents the students from being able to see through the cards to see what they say ahead of time.  I will also include a couple examples of patterns I print on the backs of cards.  I have meant to create some math pig games as well, but I haven't done so yet.  If you are unfamiliar with pig, here is how it is played:  Each set of cards has word cards and pig cards.  You pass out cards to each student, and they must read them correctly to keep them.  If they don't read them correctly, they will lose the cards.  If they draw a pig card, they will lose their cards.  The student with the most cards at the end will win.  Some teachers allow the students to say if they want 1, 2 or 3 cards.  Requesting one card decreases the chances of drawing a pig, but requesting three cards increases your pile faster.  I find that students take to long deliberating on how many cards they want, so I don't allow them to choose.  I vary by rounds instead.  So, on the first round, everyone gets one card.  They get two on the second, three on the third, one on the fourth, two on the fifth, and so on.  NWF Pig, CVC Pig, CVCe Pig, Initial Blend Pig, Initial Digraph Pig, Cluster Blend Pig, Ending Blend Pig, Ending Digraph Pig, Diphthong Pig, Purple Heart Card Backing, Pink Checker Board Card Backing, Black Swirl Card Backing, Red Swirl Card Backing

No comments:

Post a Comment