Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sequencing Numbers

My school district uses mCLASS math assessments.  Therefore, many of the lessons and activities I do with my K-2 students support the skills they need for those assessments.  I have several sets of number cards from 1-100 which I use to practice skills for the number identification and next number tests.  Number Cards  I print each set on a different color so that they can easily be separated if they get mixed up.  I like to laminate all of my games and activities.  Lamination film at school is typically thin and cards curl up, so I prefer to do my own laminating.  Scotch makes a laminator that can be purchased at Walmart, Meijer, Target or many craft stores.  Back to the number cards - these cards can be used as flash cards.  Students can take turns showing them to each other and quizzing each other on what number appears on the cards.  Cards can also be placed in a small box or bag, and each student draws cards and names them.  They can also trace the digits with their fingers or mark dots or tally marks on a dry erase board to match the number they have drawn.  Students can sort the cards by even and odd.  Students can also play Top-It with these cards.  Both students draw one card and the high card takes both.  You could also designate that the low card will take both.  A sequencing game can be played by placing the pile face down in the center of the table.  Each student draws five cards and sequences them.  After a lesson about sequencing by the 10s place value and looking at the 1s place if two or more cards have the same 10s place, students are able to play this game on their own while you are assessing students.  Each student will sequence their five cards and ask an elbow buddy to verify that they are correct before drawing five new cards.  You can differentiate by giving lower students fewer cards to sequence or giving higher students more cards to sort.  I use a Before and After Mat  with these cards to practice for the next number mCLASS assessment.  I place these mats (and many of my other work mats) in clear plastic sheet protectors.  This makes them into designer dry erase boards that can be easily stored in a binder.  Students select a card and place it in the center column under the word "Number."  Students will use a dry erase marker to write the number that comes before and after the card they have drawn.  Because each student has their own work mat, they can work at their own pace.  I can show them the proper way to write digits when necessary.  I can also direct them to look at the number line or hundreds chart if they get stuck.  With each activity I have mentioned today, I would have the students work on it for 5-10 minutes and move on to another activity when it is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment