Sunday, October 16, 2011

Dominoes

There are many activities you can do with dominoes.  I have a couple sets of dominoes in my classroom, but I find that I mostly use my Paper Domino Set.  I have printed several sets on different colors of paper.  That makes it easy to keep the sets separate.  Students can use a set of dominoes to play Top It.  In this game, each student draws a domino from the pile and counts up the dots.  You can designate that the student with the highest number takes both cards or the lowest number could win instead.  You could ask students to locate multiple dominoes that represent the same number.  For example, the number six could be represented by a 6/0 combination, or 5/1, 4/2 or 3/3.  You could also call out a number and ask them to locate the domino that would come before or after the number you have stated.  Dominoes can also be placed on the Before and After Mat.  Ask the student to write a number in the center column.  Then, they will locate the appropriate dominoes to place in the before and after columns.  These dominoes can also be used for quantitative discrimination.  Place two dominoes before the student and ask them to select the larger of the two.  These dominoes can also be used as an aide in addition.  Show a domino and ask the student to add the quantities that appear on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment