Saturday, September 24, 2011

Writing Digits 0-9

This topic is related to the number identification activities.  Here are a couple of activities that I have done with them at the start of each lesson.  First, I made a flip book for each child that contains the digits 0-9.  I have each students numbers on a metal ring.  To make the activity more fun, I also pass out "monster fingers" which are plastic fingers that you may have seen around Halloween time.  They put on the monster finger and trace the number.  I started out with just 0-2 and added more digits as the students seemed ready.  Later I added the component of finger taps.  They would trace the number, say its name, and tap their finger the number of times that corresponds with that digit.  You can also add a dot in the corner of the table as their "tap point."  After sufficient practice, assess them by taking the flip book away and ask them to draw the number in the air or on the table top without the guide.  Other ways to practice forming the numbers:  Place sand or salt in a pan or on a cookie sheet.  Students use their fingers to draw the digits.  You can also use shaving cream sprayed on the table (if you don't mind the mess) or you can put shaving cream in a ziploc bag - enough to make the bag about a half inch thick with cream.  They press their fingers on the outside of the bag to draw numbers.  One other way to make it tactile is to use glue to write the digits on cards.  When the glue dries, there is a raised number for them to trace.  Sandpaper also works.  You could cut the digits on an Ellison cutter.  Here are the numbers I run off for the flip books.  Cut each page in half, hole punch the corner, and place them on a ring.   0-9 Finger Trace Flip Book

No comments:

Post a Comment